When the time came to cover Aristocrat’s latest Wonder 4 games here at Mr Gamez, it was time for a big decision. Was the game worthy of its own alternatives, or would the players be better served by a feature post that covers the games themselves in depth? We concluded that the latter would be a better idea, as many of the games from which Wonder 4 takes inspiration have already been covered in depth here on the site.
Aristocrat itself bills Wonder 4 as the original Multi-Play masterpiece and it gives players around the world, most notably in Europe, the chance to experience some of the classic features that have gone a long way to making Aristocrat the world gaming power that it is today. The magic of the game is that it allows players to mix and match their favourites and make use of four sets of reels at the same time, meaning bigger bets and bigger prizes.
The games in question are Buffalo, Pompeii, Fire Light and Wild Splash, so you’ll see that we’d definitely be repeating ourselves by featuring alternatives. Your job when putting the game together is to choose exactly which games you want to play. There are always four sets of reels in view and you could, for example, opt for four concurrent games of Pompeii. Alternatively, you could go for two sets of Pompeii reels together with one of Firelight and one of Buffalo.
In order to make the choice slightly easier, you may need a refresher on what the games have to offer by way of features, so here we are:
- Buffalo offers eight, fifteen or twenty free spins for three, four or five scatters respectively. Two or more scatters during the free spins will add a further five games to the overall total.
- Fire Light’s free games see the first and second reels merging into one, with the same taking place on the fourth and fifth reels, ensuring that you’ll always land at least two in a row. Three, four or five scatters award six, nine or twelve free spins respectively.
- Pompeii’s free spins are awarded in the same way, with three or more scatters required and more scatters making for more spins, with up to twenty available. The twist is that a multiplier is applied to any prize that includes a wild substitution.
- Finally, Wild Splash can award up to 25 free spins, once again using the number of scatters to determine the overall outcome. Extra wild cards are added to the second, third, fourth and fifth reels to bring many more combinations into play.
That all seems simple enough. The exact same features are used on the games as when they were released as standalone titles. The Wonder 4 twist comes from the number of reel sets that you’re using. If that’s between one and three sets, then the game that the bonus round was won on will expand to cover the whole screen and the bonus will play out as normal.
However, if you’re playing with all four sets of reels on any combination of the games, and you should be, then the action gets even better. Whenever you manage to activate free spins, those bonus games will then proceed to play out across all four sets of reels, with the triggering game being the star of the show once again as all four sets will become that game for the duration of the round. You can see where the value comes from, because you’re effectively getting four times as much action!
In certain markets, you may find the Wonder 4 Special Edition game rather than the original version, and while the overall principles of the title are the same, the games have changed somewhat. While Buffalo and Fire Light return from the original cabinet, you can also choose from Indian Dreaming or Wild Patagonia, with features as follows:
- Indian Dreaming’s bonus game is one of the simplest to get to grips with as you simply receive ten, fifteen or twenty free games for three, four or five scatters respectively.
- Wild Patagonia’s bonus is slightly different, although you’ll know by now that a game must offer free spins to fit into the overall Wonder 4 theme. Between five and 25 spins are awarded and, like on Wild Splash, extra wilds are added to all but the first reel.
We’re exceptionally fond of Aristocrat’s Player’s Choice range of games, but in some ways this is even better as you can play multiple games at once! While the Wonder 4 titles are unlikely to make it online any time soon, several of the included games are already there. Even those that aren’t are featured in our Aristocrat alternatives section, so be sure to check them out for the best online action around!